East River Legal Services (ERLS) is a non-profit law firm that provides free civil legal aid to low-income individuals in the thirty-three (33) eastern South Dakota counties. ERLS is seeking two professional, experienced, and intelligent legal assistant/secretary with excellent communication and interpersonal skills for all front office desk duties and administrative support.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director and supervising Attorneys, the legal assistant/secretary renders legal support services including, but not limited to: meeting with clients (in-person or on the phone), providing clerical and administrative support to attorneys, preparing correspondence and documents using Microsoft Word, copying documents, scanning documents to PDF file format, maintaining client files in a confidential and well-organized manner, perform data entry of client statistical information, receive all visitors, answer phones, and perform other duties as assigned.
- Client interviewing/intake by phone and in person.
- Filing, copying, mail distribution, answering telephones, maintaining legal files and client records, calendaring and time-keeping system.
- Monitoring and accurately maintaining case status through electronic case management system.
- At all times maintain confidentiality and professionalism toward clients, visitors, and other employees.
- Drafting advice letters
- Maintain lobby.
- Ensure compliance with ERLS policies and procedures.
- Transcribe from dictation and work with clients and attorneys in the preparation of cases.
- Other duties which may from time-to-time be assigned by the Executive Director.
- High school or GED equivalent.
- Paralegal certificate preferred but not required.
- Prior law office experience preferred but not required.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Bilingual strongly preferred.
- Type minimum of 50 wpm.
- Excellent computer skills with use of Microsoft products preferred.
- Candidate must be detail oriented, organized and self-motivated.
- Punctual and excellent attendance record.
- Demonstrable sensitivity to the needs and problems of low-income individuals, including the rural poor.
Email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.
335 N Main Ave, Suite 200
Sioux Falls, SD 57104